Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Prognosis

Due to the graphic nature of this post, I'll warn you in advance that this might be "too much information" for some of you. Feel no pressure to read it if you get queasy at all, and simply check in for later posts. To those of you who received my previous update email, I've added minor details/updates, but nothing to significant.

Some of you may or may not know that I am six months pregnant. I apologize to those of you who didn't know, it's just that Bry and I were having fun keeping it a secret because I didn't (and still don't) look a bit pregnant. We'd planned to just wait until it was obvious and then deliver shortly after. Unfortunately, we've run into some serious complications and I've landed in the hospital.

On Monday morning at 1:30 a.m., I was awakened by a significant gush of blood. It was only worsened by my blood-thinning medication, which essentially turned it into a watery consistency. Bry and I rushed to the ER, I'd lost quite a bit of blood. I liken it to a gunshot wound that I'd seen on TV, except my blood wasn't thick, it was like water.

While at Southdale Hospital, they ran a few tests and thankfully, the bleeding subsided. I can explain to any one of you individually but it's too graphic to post. Anyway, I was transferred to Abbott Northwest Hospital via ambulance. I've been on bedrest since arriving and will have to be on bedrest until delivery, most likely a combination of at the hospital and at home.

Our baby is doing extremely well! It's even doing a few things that are expected of babies that are 30 wks+. I am almost 24 weeks along in this pregnancy. I've had many conversations with this little one explaining how precious it is. and how we need to work together to make it through. I too feel well - no contractions, no cramping, and no further bleeding.

This is where it may get a bit complicated, but bear with me. I had a full ultrasound. The results showed that I have a complete placenta previa. I won't go into details, so you may have to google it. My placenta is only a slight bit onto my cervix - it is not a central previa which would cover my entire cervix. but they found something else....of course. They located a polyp in my cervix - that is vascular. I was unaware of this polyp and have no history of polyps. They believe that this is what caused the bleeding - that it ruptured on Monday and as it's a vein, it just pumped and pumped blood out until it decided to stop. It could open up again at a moment's notice. The doctors are giving me the strong impression that it will. I had no signs it was going to happen so essentially, I'm dealing with a ticking time bomb. The baby is snuggled perfectly in place and will likely not show any signs of distress, even if I do experience something similar to what occurred this week. If the polyp decideds to rupture again, they have the option of giving me a full blood transfusion.

Because of this combination of issues, I'm now at a major risk of delivering early. The doctors have been telling me that it's highly likely. They've mentioned on more than one occasion that the goal is to get to 32 weeks - when chances of survival are 100%. I have been given two shots that will stimulate the development of the baby's lungs. They've also started me on regular heparin, versus the low molecular weight heparin I was on. This allows them the opportunity to reverse the anti-coagulation in a short time frame. I was on the blood-thinning medication because of my history of pulmonary emboli. Some of you are unaware of that occurance as well. In a nutshell, you've seen the birth control commercials with the fine print, "may cause blood clots on rare occurences" - yeah...I'm that rare occurence. Birth control almost killled me four years ago, so you can imagine I've succeeded in pushing through a number of vasectomies. T

They've also determined that there is no chance of a "regular" delivery, it will be a c-section. As of now, I have to stay in the hospital for at least a few more days. If my body behaves, it sounds like I'll get to go home on Monday. The home obstectrics team will come to my house thee times a week to do monitoring and the good stuff. I will be sequestered in my room. I am allowed to get up to go to the bathroom and I can take the occasional shower. Other than that, I'm not allowed to do anything but bend my neck side to side, flex my feet, and bend my elbows...and type. I was sort of scolded the other day for sitting up too long. Needless to say, my butt hurts. :) Bryon and Anabelle are slowly starting to adjust, but as many of you know, Anabelle and I are pretty much attached at the hip. My poor little girl is very confused and misses me terribly and my wonderful husband now has the weight of the world on his shoulders. He is so strong though.

This is extremely emotionally difficult for all of us, but God has shown Himself to me in so many ways, I can't be upset. There are many of you who've jumped right in to help us during this extremely confusing, scary time and we sincerely appreciate it. The amount of generosity amazes me. Thank you.

I have a request, that you please pray and think positively for baby's continued growth and progress and that I avoid any further bleeding episodes that would endanger both of our lives. Think 32, 32, 32, 32 weeks (and more is a bonus!). And equally important, that Anabelle adjusts well and that Bryon takes one day at a time and stays strong.

Now, to lighten the mood... let me share a few trivial, superfcial items...

1. I ordered a hard-boiled egg for breakfast, they sent up a raw egg. Really, the kind you'd crack into a cake mix. Sick.
2. Thank you chemo therapy for turning my hair curly, it resembles a lovely bird's nest.
3. I was supposed to get my teeth cleaned this month, I have to delay at least four months...Eww
.4. I'm telling people that I'm really just on the show Survivor to test my true "natural beauty".
5. I asked the integrative medicine therapist who provides massage, acupuncture, etc., if she'd rub my butt.
6. Daytime TV is something else...I'm considering calling into some of these talk shows to explain basic common sense in elementary terms.
7. Just think of the expertise I'll gain on random theories and products during my endless days in a bed. I'll really be a know-it-all!
8. Last, but certainly not least, let's just all think about how long my hair will be in four-five months!! I envision looking just like those Geico cavemen on TV! :)

With love and much butt pain,
Sarah (and baby Madson)

No comments:

Post a Comment